The Legacy of Charlie Hughes
As Director of Social Services for 31 years, Charlie Hughes has been known for many things. Among the most notable: his compassion and relentless effort to better the lives of everyone he met. In honor of his retirement in 2012, the Liberty Hospital Foundation established the Hughes Family Assistance Program. This program will serve to celebrate and continue Charlie’s lifelong commitment to Liberty Hospital and the community of Liberty.
During his time at Liberty Hospital, Charlie helped develop many essential programs, including: the Hospital Wheel Chair Van Service, Long Term Care Clinic, Hospital Home Health, and the TreeHouse at Liberty Hospital. Not only dedicated to serving patients, he created an internal Adopt-a-Family program to assist fellow employees in need during the holiday season. He has made a lasting impact on many community organizations, most notably as Board President for both Liberty Meals on Wheels and the Society for Social Work Leaders in Health Care MO-KAN chapter, who named him Hospital Social Work Director of the Year in 1990 and Social Work Leader of the Year in 2011.
Apply for Assistance
Use the button below to to complete the form for grant consideration. You will be contacted by Foundation staff within 24 hours of your application with more information.
- Applicant must first contact Employee Health and HR to discuss current their current situation discuss any additional resources available.
- If applicant is requesting assistance with Liberty Hospital medical bills they must first apply for Financial Assistance through the billing department.
- Applications must be submitted by the employee requesting assistance. Applications submitted on behalf of employees will be denied.
- Applicants are eligible for up to $750 assistance once in a twelve month period.
- Applicant must meet the guidelines for a “defined crisis”. A “defined crisis” includes:
- Loss of home or disruption of the use of home due to fire or natural disaster, defined as: a tornado, flood, or earthquake.
- Death of a spouse/partner, resulting in loss of income.
- Assistance with funeral support for an immediate family member where no insurance or other coverage is available.
- Devastating illness, injury, or accident of employee or an immediate family member living in the home (spouse/partner, child, or dependent living in the home) which results in the loss of income to the household.
If you have any questions, please reach out via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.